As the title implies, I came across an off brand lock–a unique looking lock with a very nice finish, but certainly something I had never seen in my 25 years experience.
Funny thing was that when I went to reconfigure the pins in the plug, the normal sized pins were too large a diameter to fit in the tiny holes.
After some careful thought on the matter, I used a drill pit slightly larger than the holes and bored them out, not unlike boring out cylinder heads on an engine (though not as intricate, expensive, or time-consuming).
What do you know–it worked, and my customer was extremely pleased.
Always find ways to analyze the problem from different angles before you give up on a solution–you might surprise yourself, I know I certainly did!